So my mom is incredibly generous. She is absolutely the definition of a cheerful giver. She is an extravagant gift giver, and she loves to bless people. With a little bit of background in mind, this story may be hard to believe. It happened many years ago, and I myself can hardly believe it. One winter morning my mom surprised me with a latte from Starbucks. She also got herself one, and she had with her a bag with goodies inside. I could definitely smell it was something delicious! I hadn’t eaten breakfast yet so I was even more excited to find out what she grabbed us from Starbucks pastry case…
My mom opens the bag and says, “here babe I got you a muffin!” I was so excited! I could already taste the blueberry muffin…the moist center, the crunchy top..I could hardly wait. I took the bag, reached into it and pulled out—-“MOM! What is this?!”
This is the surprising part. Totally unlike my mom. She had eaten the ENTIRE top of the muffin. The TOP people! All of it. Every crunchy sweet last bite of the top of the muffin was gone. She knew it was my favorite, because let’s be honest, the top is everyone’s favorite. The muffin was ruined. I wasn’t hungry anymore. We drank our lattes in silence…
Okay, so I wasn’t that mad and we didn’t drink out lattes in silence. In fact, we still laugh at the story to this day! It was so out of character for her to eat the best part. With that story in mind, I created these moist muffins with an extra special top! Extra crunchy, extra sweet, and extra full of top-of-the-muffin excitement.
The honey drizzle made with powdered sugar and milk really give these muffins an extra surprise and delight to the taste buds. Mmm… Be careful! You might even be tempted to eat the tops off all these muffins before sharing with friends and family. Don’t be fooled though, the center of these banana muffins are moist and perfectly sweet and delightful!
- 1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 c. apple butter (I recommend EDEN® ORGANIC APPLE BUTTER 17 OZ)
- 1/3 c. butter
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 c. oats
- 1/3c. powdered sugar
- milk (as needed)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a mixing bowl, add butter, sugar, and apple butter. Mix until nice and smooth.
- Add mashed bananas and mix everything together until there are no lumps.
- Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well.
- Line muffin pan with liners and fill with muffin dough.
- In a separate bowl, put all of the crumble toppings and mix until crumbly.
- Place a tablespoon of crumble on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes .
- Add powdered sugar to a bowl, and slowly add milk until you get a nice thick consistency.
- Add honey and stir until well blended.
- When muffins are done, drizzle honey glaze over the tops of the muffins.
- You can substitute any type of flour you would like! You can also add nuts to the crumble to add an extra crunch.