Orzo is one of my favorite little pastas. This dish is simple, fresh, and oh so delicious. I love that it is a light meal that is packed with Mediterranean flavors. I whipped this dish up on a lazy, cozy, and rainy Sunday afternoon. My husband and I savored it with whole wheat bread dipped in olive oil. Pasta and bread-my kind of meal!
I love goat cheese. It’s one of my favorite cheeses. If goat cheese is on it, in it, sprinkled on top, stuffed inside, I don’t care I’m gettin’ it and I’m eatin’ it. Okay, so this pasta dish is already a winner in my book because of the goat cheese.
But wait there’s more! Capers, artichoke hearts, shallots, oh my! This dish has a Mediterranean flair that I simple cannot resist.
And oh my goodness fresh thyme! This dish is loaded with fresh thyme that perfectly compliments the Mediterranean flavors found in this pasta. I am obsessed with fresh herbs. They are so delicious, they spruce up any dish, and they are also beautiful to look at! It is my dream to have an herb garden. I was watching Fixer Upper (my favorite show EVER!), and Joanna designed the most beautiful and elegant herb garden that she hung in her client’s kitchen. (check it out–>http://www.hgtv.com/design-blog/shows/fixer-upper-container-garden-ideas-from-joanna-gaines)
I gotta get my husband to build me one of those. (;
Care to join me for some pasta and possibly and episode of Fixer Upper? Alright, let’s dig in!
- 1 c. dry orzo (Garofalo Orzo Pasta, 16-Ounce (Pack of 4))
- 1/2 shallot diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 c. artichoke hearts
- 1/3 c. capers
- salt and pepper
- goat cheese
- fresh thyme
- extra virgin olive oil
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil.
- Add orzo and cook 8-9 minutes until al dente.
- Meanwhile, dice shallot on cook with 1 teaspoon olive oil until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Strain orzo (don't add cold water).
- Return orzo to a pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add shallot and garlic to the orzo and stir.
- Add artichoke hearts and capers with some juice and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and lots of thyme.
- Divide the orzo into dishes and top with desired amount of goat cheese.
- Serve with fresh bread and olive oil for dipping to make an amazing healthy meal for lunch or dinner!