WARNING: This cake is highly addictive. Highly Delicious. And the best chocolate cake your fork will ever meet.
I’m not kidding when I call this the best ever chocolate cake. This is for real you guys. The cake of all cakes. You will dream about this cake. You will obsess over this cake. And you too will call this the best ever chocolate cake. One bite of this moist, rich chocolate cake and you will be reaching for your second slice. Paired with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a tall glass of cold milk, or all by itself, this cake is a show stopper.
This is the cake that my family and friends are constantly asking for. Even those who thought they didn’t like chocolate cake! I have made this recipe so many times for birthdays and other celebrations. And each time it tastes better and better. Every bite is filled with moist, fluffy chocolate cake, chocolate chips, and the creamiest frosting. Be careful, this frosting is dangerous. Smooth, chocolaty, and dangerous. You may even be tempted to eat spoonfuls of it. I’m not proud of it, but I am guilty of indulging myself by licking the bowl clean. Totally worth it.
What I really love about this cake is that it is easy and homemade. There is nothing better than homemade cake! Skip the box, grab your apron and get baking.
The dark chocolate shavings add a touch more of chocolate sweetness and make this cake beautiful to look at. The perfect topping to this chocolate cake!
- 3 c. all purpose flour
- 2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 c. cold water
- 1 c. corn oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 c. dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups confectioners sugar
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
- Stir first 5 ingredients into medium bowl.
- Mix water, oil, vanilla in large bowl; whisk in dry ingredients.
- Divide batter among pans. Sprinkle 1/2 cup chocolate chips over batter in each pan.
- Bake cakes until test inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing from pans and frosting.
- While the cake cools, beat softened butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in 3 cups sugar.
- Add 6 tablespoons milk.
- Add cocoa and remaining 2 cups sugar.
- Place 1 cake layer, chocolate chip side up, on platter. Spread 2/3 cup frosting over the cake.
- Top with second cake layer, chocolate chip side down. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Get a vegetable peeler and a large bar of Hershey's dark chocolate, and peel twirls of chocolate.
- Cover the cake with the peels.
- Don't over bake your cake so it can remain fluffy and moist! Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.