These are without a question my favorite muffins. They are incredibly moist and each bite explodes with tangy lemon flavor!
It’s still very much summer here in the hot desert sun! Which means more lemon recipes. They probably won’t stop coming till’ Fall comes. Sorry guys. It’s just gonna be a whole lot of lemon recipes until it’s time for a whole lot of pumpkin recipes. Actually who am I kidding!? I’m not sorry! Lemon is absolutely amazingly delicious this time of year. Whether it’s in a muffin, cake, bar, or drink, lemon is such a refreshing pretty lookin’ little fruit.
These whole wheat lemon poppy seed muffins are just perfect for a Sunday brunch recipe (or anytime of the hot summer day recipe!). Made with whole wheat flour and greek yogurt, you could almost argue these little muffins are healthy for you. These muffins are super moist and tangy as they are filled with lemon juice and tons of lemon zest. I honestly love anything packed with lemon juice and zest. Not too sweet and not too tangy, these muffins are a hit in my house. The lemon drizzle adds even more of a zesty punch that you will just love (I couldn’t stop eating it off the spoon!).
This classic lemon poppyseed recipe is sure to be a hit with your family and friends the summer!
- 1⅓ c. whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, lemon zest and juice, and mix until well combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix well. Add poppyseeds.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until not doughy in the middle and golden on top.
- Allow muffins to cool completely.
- Mix together all ingredients and drizzle on top of cooled muffins. Enjoy!