Oh my goodness. I never knew how much I could loved stuffed bell peppers until these ones came into my life. You guys. I was really missing out on a deliciously healthy mouthwatering dinner. If you are missing out on the joys of stuffed bell peppers, you gotta hop aboard the healthy veggie train and make these to wow your family and friends.
I used red, yellow, and red peppers because they are so colorful and summery! This dinner was perfectly fresh and a delight to my whole family. Stuffed with couscous, more veggies, and topped with chicken and cheese, these peppers are sure to please carnivores and vegetarians alike (sans meat of course & stuffed with more couscous). These peppers were truly so fun to make because I felt like I could get as creative as I wanted. You can truly add anything to these peppers to make a delicious and healthy dinner. You can even stuff peppers with those leftovers you just don’t know what to do with!
I love couscous, so I chose to be very generous and put a thick layer at the bottom. I also made chicken in the crockpot the morning of, so assembly was very easy and clean up was simply. Who doesn’t love an easy clean up?!
Packed with tons of flavor, these versatile peppers MUST be on your menu for dinner this week!
- 6 bell peppers
- 1/2 lb. chicken
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 c. green salsa
- 1 box pearl couscous
- 1 c. mushrooms
- handful of spinach
- salt and pepper
- mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a crockpot, add chicken, chili powder, salt, pepper, olive oil, and green salsa.
- Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Shred chicken using a for.
- Add chopped mushrooms to a pan and sauté with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Mix in a handful of spinach.
- Next, stir in couscous and cook until couscous is golden.
- Add water according to box and cook until all water is absorbed. About 15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Cut the tops of the peppers off and remove seeds.
- Place the peppers standing up in the casserole dish.
- Add a generous layer of couscous to the bottom of the peppers.
- Next, place shredded chicken to the top of the pepper.
- Top with desired amount of cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 45 minutes until cheese is golden.
- Substitute chicken with black beans or garbanzo beans to make this dish vegetarian!