When I say the best crepe breakfast, I really mean the BEST crepe breakfast. Ever. I wouldn’t lie to you! I mean this is the kind of breakfast you will dream about at night. The kind of breakfast that will have you waking up before your alarm. You will love this crepe breakfast so much, that you will make it and have it in the oven before your coffee is even done brewing. Yeah. I’m that serious my friends!
This recipe was inspired by a similar breakfast my husband and I had when we were taking an anniversary trip in Colorado last summer. We stayed at a quaint bed and breakfast in a charming little town and were served somewhat of a crepe casserole for breakfast. I am a huge fan of crepes, so I was overjoyed when I learned we would be having them for breakfast! Our host had a friend from France who gave her a bunch of homemade crepes. She softened up some pears on the stove and layered the crepes with butter, pure maple syrup, and pears. My husband and I helped ourselves to seconds. And thirds.
I decided to add pretty much anything I could find in my pantry to these layered crepes including slivered almonds, currants, chopped pecans, and shredded coconut. What I love about these crepes is that you can get so creative! Add your favorite nuts, fruits, and toppings to make this dish unique every time! I cooked up all of my toppings in coconut oil and honey on the stove, softening up everything and adding amazing amounts of flavor.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Coconut oil
- 1/4 c. chopped pecans
- 1/4 c. slivered almonds
- 1/4 c. currants
- 1/2 c. shredded coconut
- 1 c. diced apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- honey, as desired
- coconut oil, as desired
- In a large mixing bowl or blender add all of the ingredients (besides the coconut oil) and mix until completely smooth and blended.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan.
- Pour ¼ c. of batter into the pan and tilt in a circular motion so that the batter evenly spreads.
- Cook for about 1 minute on each side.
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium sauce pan and cook until apples are soft.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start by placing one crepe on the bottom of a pie dish. Sprinkle some of the nut topping and sprinkle a few pieces of diced butter on top.
- Continue until all crepes and topping are gone.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the butter is melted and the crepes are golden brown.
- Serve with pure maple syrup and fresh berries!
- Get creative with this recipe! Substitute any of the toppings for a unique crepe casserole every time.
Confession: I say this recipe serves 4…but my husband and I could truly finish this off just the two of us! (; it’s the perfect lazy, Sunday morning breakfast.